The Amazon Fire TV Stick is a great little device for digital signage and since it was launched in 2016, the 2nd Generation Fire TV Stick has been the easiest to recommend with a solid performance at a very low price. The problem is that you can only get the 2nd Generation Fire TV Stick in select countries, so Amazon solved this by launching the Fire TV Stick Basic Edition, which is basically the same as the 2nd Generation Fire TV Stick and has the same specs, but the Basic Edition is made for the international market and ships to over 100 countries. The only real difference between the two is that the 2nd Generation Fire TV Stick comes with an Alexa Voice Remote while the Basic Edition does not.
There is one problem though with the Amazon Fire TV Stick Basic Edition that affects our ScreenCloud users. The Fire TV Stick Basic Edition does not have the search capabilities that allow you to search for and download apps like the 2nd Generation Fire TV Stick does (see here). This means it's not possible to download the ScreenCloud Player app easily.
There is a solution for this though, you can install apps directly to the device via your Amazon account.
To do this:
- First, make sure you have registered your Fire TV Stick Basic Edition. If you need help with this, follow this guide
- Go to www.amazon.com and log in with the account you used to register your Fire TV Stick Basic Edition
- Next, go to the page for ScreenCloud's Player app for Fire TV devices here and under "Deliver to:" on the right, choose to deliver the app to your Fire TV Stick Basic Edition
- After you have added the ScreenCloud Player app, on your device, use the remote to navigate to "my apps". You will see the ScreenCloud Player app and be able to launch it
- When the app launches, it will ask you if you want the app to boot when the device turns on. Select yes
- Make a note of the pairing code, this is the code you need to enter into ScreenCloud Signage
If you have any additional questions or concerns on installing the ScreenCloud player on the Amazon Fire TV Stick Basic Edition, or any other questions or feedback about ScreenCloud, feel free to reach out to our support team at email@example.com or give us a call at +1-415-449-5426, then follow the prompts to reach support.