Hello and thank you for visiting our ScreenCloud Help Center. This article will go through how to reset your chrome device's kiosk settings and chrome enterprise organizational settings with a quick workaround.
We have heard of isolated instances where Chrome devices using ScreenCloud in kiosk mode are experiencing issues like screens unpairing each time the device restarts or the device being stuck showing a "Waiting for application window" message while loading the app. These issues are not specifically issues with the ScreenCloud player app or ScreenCloud, but instead are Chrome OS and Chrome Enterprise related.
We found a workaround online that was recommended by a Google support representative as a solution to a different issue, and it ended up being a solution for these issues as well. As such we are recommending this workaround here in case it's a help to any of our users who are experiencing something similar.
Steps to take:
1) Create a new sub organizational unit. Go to Google Admin > Users > click "Manage Organizational Units" in the bottom left > click the + button in the top left > give the new organizational unit a name, for example "Reset Test", and make sure the parent organization unit is your main organization (the one with all your kiosk settings correctly applied) and click "Create".
2) Set the settings for this new sub organizational unit. Go to Google Admin Home > Device Management > Chrome Management > Device Settings > then choose the sub organizational unit you just created in the left hand sidebar > then under "Kiosk Settings", "Kiosk Apps" click on "Manage Kiosk Applications" and click "Remove" next to ScreenCloud's app and click "Save" and then click "Save in the bottom right. Under "Kiosk Settings", "Kiosk Apps" it should now show "No kiosk apps available to launch" and that the "Kiosk Apps" settings are "Locally applied".
3) Move your devices to this sub organizational unit. Go to Google Admin Home > Device Management > Chrome Devices > then click on the main organizational unit where your devices are and select the devices you want to move by clicking the checkbox to the left of them, then click on "Move to" and select the new sub organizational unit you made as the destination you want to move the devices to and click "Move to organization".
4) Make sure the devices settings reset. Once you do this, stay where you are and click on the new sub organizational unit in the bottom left so you can see your recently moved devices. Click on each device and then under "System Activity and Troubleshooting" click "Reboot Now". (Please note that before you are able to do this the devices may restart by themselves). The devices should restart and not load into kiosk mode but instead show a login screen. If this happens that's a good sign and shows that we've successfully reset these devices OU settings.
5) Next let's move the devices back to the main organization with all your kiosk settings correctly applied. Select the devices you want to move by clicking the checkbox to the left of them, then click on "Move to" and select the main organizational unit with the correct kiosk settings as the destination you want to move the devices to and click "Move to organization".
6) Make sure the devices settings are reapplied. Once you do this, stay where you are and click on the main organizational unit with the correct kiosk settings so you can see your recently moved devices. Click on each device and then under "System Activity and Troubleshooting" click "Reboot Now". (Please note that before you are able to do this the devices may restart by themselves). The devices should restart and load into kiosk mode and load the ScreenCloud app.
7) Pair the devices to ScreenCloud, apply some content and restart the devices. The devices should restart and load into kiosk mode and load the ScreenCloud app. Let us know if they are still paired after this instead of showing a pairing code.
The above steps are basically a way to both clear out the ScreenCloud app and organizational settings on a device by replacing them with new ones and then going back to the old ones.
If this does not solve your issue you could also try setting some additional settings in the new sub organizational unit you create (in step 2). The steps above only outline how to reset 2 settings (the "Kiosk App available to launch" setting and the "Auto-Launch Kiosk App" setting), but if you want you could have it change additional settings like "Erase all local user info, settings, and state after each sign-out" or other settings that could be related to this issue.
If you have any additional questions or concerns on the steps above, or any other questions or feedback about ScreenCloud, feel free to reach out to our support team at email@example.com or give us a call at +1-415-449-5426, then follow the prompts to connect with support.