Google’s recent update prevents Chrome playback video and audio files from playing until a user interacts with the domain (click, tap, etc.) For Digital Signage this means, your videos would not work until you plug in a mouse and click on the screen.
Which devices are affected?
- All Chrome devices (Chromebit, Chromebox, Chromebook and Chromecast) with Chrome version 66 onwards.
- Chrome extension on a Windows or a Mac
When was the update released?
Early May 2018
What are we doing to help resolve this issue?
For Chrome device with or without Chrome Device Management or those without Kiosk mode
- upon startup pressing Ctrl+Alt+S
- logging in
- opening a Chrome browser and typing: chrome://flags/#autoplay-policy
- changing the "Autoplay policy" from "Default" to "No user gesture is required"
- pressing "relaunch"
- rebooting the device