Hello and thank you for visiting our ScreenCloud Help Center. This article will go through how to get a Google Map API Key to use the Google Traffic App.
Please Note: As of Monday, July 16th, 2018, Google is changing how it charges businesses using its mapping software. Unfortunately, this will affect any ScreenCloud customer using the Google Traffic app.
- ScreenCloud customers will need to get their own Google Map API key and add that information to the Google Traffic app, or else they'll see errors on their screens. See our step by step video and the written guide below.
- The good news here: Google is providing users with $200 monthly credit, which would mean each user gets 28,000 free map loads before being charged (see Google's pricing calculator)!
For example, If your playlist has two instances of the Google Traffic app, then each time you go through the entire playlist, it will count as two map loads.
- You can find out more about Google's policy changes here.
- If you have any questions about the credits you have used up or billing on your Google account, we recommend you reach out to Google Support directly as they will be able to assist you further.
Google Traffic App - API Guide
If you would prefer to watch a step-by-step video on this process, then click here!
- Go to https://console.developers.google.com/
- You will be prompted to sign into a Google account
- Once signed in you will see this page:
- First, you need to enable APIs and services so click on ENABLE APIS AND SERVICES
- On the next page, type Static Map into the Search box:
- Click on Google Static Maps API and then click ENABLE button:
- On this page Click "Create credentials":
- You will be redirected to create the credential for the API key but you can skip it and go to create API key:
- Once you click on API Key you will see this page, enter the name so you can identify your API key. Then Choose HTTP referrers (websites) under Key restriction and type in *.screen.cloud/* and click Create:
- Once done, you will see this page (You may want to copy the Key while you are on this page or you can do it later):
- Next, click on ENABLE to enable the API:
- When Google finished enabling your API you will see this page:
- If you haven't copied the API key just go back to Credentials and copy the key:
- Now go to the Traffic app and enter the key in the optional field as seen below:
You can also watch the YouTube Video on these steps below
If you have any additional questions or concerns on how to get a Google Map API Key to use the Traffic App, or any other questions or feedback about your ScreenCloud Membership, feel free to reach out to our support team at email@example.com or give us a call at +1-415-449-5426, then follow the prompts to reach support.