From Monday July 16th, Google is changing how it charges businesses using its mapping software. Unfortunately, this will affect any ScreenCloud customer using the Google Traffic app.
ScreenCloud customers will need to get their own Google Map API key and add that information to the Google Traffic app, or else they'll see errors on their screens. See our step by step video and written guide below.
The good news: Google is providing users with $200 monthly credit, which would mean each user gets 28,000 free map loads before being charged (see Google's pricing calculator).
For example: if your playlist has two instances of the Google Traffic app, then each time you go through the entire playlist, it will count as two map loads.
Find out more about Google's policy changes here.
- Go to https://console.developers.google.com/
- You will be prompted to sign into a Google account
- Once signed in you will see this page
- First, you need to enable APIs and services so click on ENABLE APIS AND SERVICES
- On the next page, type Static Map into the Search box
- Click on Google Static Maps API and then click ENABLE button
- On this page Click "Create credentials"
- You will be redirected to create the credential for the API key but you can skip it and go to create API key
- Once you click on API Key you will see this page, enter the name so you can identify your API key. Then Choose HTTP referrers (websites) under Key restriction and type in *.screen.cloud/* and click Create
- Once done, you will see this page (You may want to copy the Key while you are on this page or you can do it later)
- Next, click on ENABLE to enable the API
- When Google finished enabling your API you will see this page
- If you haven't copied the API key just go back to Credentials and copy the key
- Now go to the Traffic app and enter the key in the optional field as seen below
Watch the YouTube video on these steps