This article will go through how to get a Google Map API Key to use the Google Traffic App.
Please Note: As of Monday, July 16th, 2018, Google is changing how it charges businesses using its mapping software. Unfortunately, this will affect ScreenCloud customers using the Google Traffic app.
- All users are now required to enable billing on your Google developer console in order to secure your Google Map API key (Google Map Platform Guide). Please click here to check that your billing is enabled.
- If you don't already have an account, you can go here to enable APIs or set up billing
- For Google Map existing users, Google provides a transition guide for you here
- Requests per Day (QPD) limits have ended, effective June 11, 2018. Therefore we recommend you manage your cost of use by setting your own daily limits in the Google Cloud Platform Console
If you have any questions about the credits you have used up or billing on your Google Cloud account, we recommend you reach out to Google Support directly as they will be able to assist you further.
Google Traffic App - API Guide
If you would prefer to watch a step-by-step video on this process, then click here!
- Go to https://console.developers.google.com/ or https://console.cloud.google.com/
- You will be prompted to sign into a Google account
- Once signed in you will see this page:
4. First, you need to enable APIs and services so click on ENABLE APIS AND SERVICES
5. On the next page, type Static Map into the Search box:
6. Click on Google Static Maps API and then click ENABLE button:
7. On this page Click "Create credentials":
8. You will be redirected to create the credential for the API key but you can skip it and go to create API key:
9. Once you click on API Key you will see this page, enter the name so you can identify your API key. Then Choose HTTP referrers (websites) under Key restriction and type in *.screen.cloud/* and click Create:
10. Once done, you will see this page (You may want to copy the Key while you are on this page or you can do it later):
12. Next, click on ENABLE to enable the API:
13. When Google finished enabling your API you will see this page:
14. If you haven't copied the API key just go back to Credentials and copy the key:
15. Now go to the Traffic app and enter the key in the optional field as seen below:
You can also watch the YouTube Video on these steps below
If you have any additional questions on how to get a Google Map API Key to use the Traffic App, or any other questions or feedback about ScreenCloud, feel free to reach out to our support team at email@example.com or give us a call at our toll-free support line at +18885575335.