Recovering your Chromebit or chromebox
When your Chrome device operating system (OS) isn’t working properly and you’re seeing this error message: "Chrome OS is missing or damaged", you can recover it. Recovery is removing and reinstalling the OS.
Note: If you’re using a managed Chrome device, ask your administrator for help.
What you need to get started
- The Chrome device with the "Chrome OS is missing or damaged" error
- Another computer; a Windows or Mac computer with Chrome installed
- A USB flash drive that can hold at least 4 GB, and that you don't mind erasing.
Important: Recovery permanently erases everything on your Chromebit's and Chromeboxes’ storage
Step 1: Download a new copy of the OS
On the working computer:
- If you're using a Mac or PC:
- Open Chrome browser
- Download the recovery app
Step 2: Enter Recovery Mode
On the Chrome device with the error:
- If you have anything connected to this device (such as a mouse or external hard drive), remove it.
- Enter recovery mode:
Chromebook: Press and hold Esc + Refresh Refresh, then press Power Power. Let go of Power. When a message shows on the screen, let go of the other keys.
Chromebox: First, turn it off. Using a paper clip or similar object, press and hold the recovery button. Press the Power button to turn the Chromebox back on. When you see a message on screen, release the recovery button.
Chromebit: First, unplug it from power. Using a paper clip or similar object, press and hold the recovery button. Plug the Chromebit back in to power. When you see a message on screen, release the recovery button.
- You'll see one of these messages:
- "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card."
- "Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card."
- Insert the USB flash drive or SD card that you used to create recovery media.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.