Hello and thank you for visiting our ScreenCloud Help Center. This article will go how to troubleshoot if you're trying to reset a Chrome device (i.e. Asus Chromebit, Chromebox, etc.) and are seeing a "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card" error".
Please read the following before beginning
Recovering your Chromebit or Chromebox:
When your Chrome device operating system (OS) isn’t working properly and you’re seeing this error message: "Chrome OS is missing or damaged", you can recover it. Recovery is removing and reinstalling the OS.
Note: If you’re using a managed Chrome device, you can refer to your administrator for help. They will be the most immediate and direct contact to assist.
What you need to get started:
- The Chrome device with the "Chrome OS is missing or damaged" error
- Another computer; a Windows or Mac computer with Chrome installed
- A USB flash drive that can hold at least 4 GB, and that you don't mind erasing.
Important: Recovery permanently erases everything on your Chromebit's and Chromeboxes’ storage
Step 1: Download a new copy of the OS (Click here to go to the top of the page)
On the working computer:
- If you're using a Mac or PC:
- Open Chrome browser
- Download the recovery app
Step 2: Enter Recovery Mode (Click here to go to the top of the page)
On the Chrome device with the error:
- If you have anything connected to this device (such as a mouse or external hard drive), remove it.
- Enter recovery mode:
Chromebook: Press and hold Esc + Refresh Refresh, then press Power Power. Let go of Power. When a message shows on the screen, let go of the other keys.
Chromebox: First, turn it off. Using a paper clip or similar object, press and hold the recovery button. Press the Power button to turn the Chromebox back on. When you see a message on screen, release the recovery button.
Chromebit: First, unplug it from power. Using a paper clip or similar object, press and hold the recovery button. Plug the Chromebit back in to power. When you see a message on screen, release the recovery button.
- You'll see one of these messages:
- "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card."
- "Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card."
- Insert the USB flash drive or SD card that you used to create recovery media.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
If you have any additional questions or concerns if you receive this error, or any other questions or feedback about your ScreenCloud Membership, feel free to reach out to our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at +1-415-449-5426, then follow the prompts to reach support.